Friday, August 3, 2012

With mental trauma -Have you ever felt like this?

I read this post by: Debra K. Greenwood-Clark · Liberty University. I thought it fit with life as a Christian with mental illness. It is sad when it is this way. They say Christians are the ones that shoot their wounded? I myself am guilty sometimes. I think I struggle a lot with this since I marred someone as this verse states:  Proverbs  22:24  Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go:
Proverbs 22:25  Lest thou learn his ways, and get a snare to thy soul. I got a snare because my husband became like this for  almost 20 years of marriage and bipolar hidden inside waiting for the snare to awaken it. The bent I was born with with the trauma of being spiritually abused and yelled at started to flourish under the wounds of emotional abuse.  I deal with it now about, 80% of the time with being taught by God through some Christians  the word of God, and medication. It  took years with my strong personality to deal rightly with a stubborn and rebellious man. His different though he still does not support me  in the maneer I would have which is another story.


Well meaning, but ignorant Christians also also fit with this one: this is the quote from Crosswalk.comhttp://www.crosswalk.com/family/marriage/vows-for-better-for-worse.html. The article that led up to the quote is great also.




 Being the spouse with the mental health issues - I can tell you that the strain on the marriage is felt in the soul by the one with the mental health issues no matter how "out of it" they are - the fear of being abandoned and left in the ditch (something I have experienced in a previous marriage by spouse and his religious family) is exasperated by attitudes of family and church members who sit on the sidelines and tell the struggling couple what is wrong with their faith walk; or isolation/loneliness becomes an overwhelming "partner" in the marriage: The caretaking spouse gets stigmatized and abandoned along with his wife... this author was very, very blessed to have someone initiate coming alongside him. And, yes, practical help is an incredible blessing... but, it is usual only there right after a major "incident"... and, when is the last time someone with "problems" called you for help... and you made an excuse to not have to do it? Many persons with mental illnesses get marginalized and pushed into needing hand outs because the Priest and Levite with their important church business walked past them when they needed a hand up.



No comments:

Post a Comment